About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019); AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021); and HOW WE BECAME POST-LIBERAL: THE RISE AND FALL OF TOLERATION (2024).

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Is torturing babies really, really wrong?

Or is it, as I argue, just really wrong? Find out the answers to all these questions and more at the Australasian Association of Philosophy annual conference at the University of New South Wales in a couple of weeks. The final conference program has just been published, and I guess I can start working out what sessions to attend (as well as writing my own paper, which I've been composing in my head for the last couple of months).

4 comments:

Robert N Stephenson said...

No matter how you put it, it isn't good in anyone's world. But there are many different tortures as well, so perhaps the main confrontation is, as I have learned, just in the title rather than in the substance

Kirth Gersen said...

As a U.S. citizen, I'm forced to ask the following (in a tongue-in-cheek manner, please understand): "If it's really, really wrong to torture them, then is waterboarding OK?"

Peter Beattie said...

Is the AAP Conferences server really, really overloaded? Apparently, it has reached its bandwidth limit… :)

mryana said...

atleast waterboarding's effects aren't as long-lasting or fatal, eh?


Securing our Nation from murdering terrorists obviously isn't a concern for you, is it?

Atleast not when you compare it to the "threat" of babies, anyways.

Still looking for a voice of reason to answer that!